Entrepreneur Mindset for Authors: Ready for Adventure?
by Ronda Del Boccio
Once I had a dream that a company in Minneapolis offered me a job paying $150 thousand per year with excellent benefits. Although this is much more than many people make, I turned down the offer.
I told my mother and her husband about this dream. He said, “You should have taken it. Why would you turn that down? You’re crazy!”
Funny how he got so emotionally invested in my decision in a dream.
When is a dream a nightmare?
A cushy salary and benefits sounds like a good thing, right? But there are trade-offs with any decision.
I would have to work 60+ hours and would have nothing like what I would consider quality of life.
- Why have money and no time to spend it?
- Why have to ask “how high?” when someone else says “JUMP”?
- Why give up freedom just for supposed comfort?
For me, a cushy salary and benefits would not be comfortable if I had to work for someone else. I truly have an entrepreneur mindset!
Like my guinea hens in this picture, I am ready for adventure. Are you?
Why develop an entrepreneur mindset?
Here are some reasons why you as an author of any format may find it beneficial to develop an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Just writing does not get your work out into the world.
- Just publishing a book is not a success guarantee.
- There is more to being a successful author than posting about your book in social networks.
- You are not likely to find a salaried position with benefits as an author.
- You’re probably a free spirit anyway!
How to Develop an Entrepreneur Mindset
Here are some actions you can take to become more business minded without selling your writer’s soul.
- Set lifelines (most people call them deadlines) for yourself even though nobody is looking over your shoulder.
- Reward yourself for reaching your lifelines and for making great progress.
- Celebrate every success – whether that is the sale of an article, surpassing a goal, winning an award, the completion of a chapter, or your first book sale.
- Expect a miracle! Things don’t have to happen slowly or in stepwise progression. Open yourself to be AMAZED on a daily basis, and you will discover your mind, heart and spirit opening to bigger ideas and greater BLISS!